CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Holiday Happening for December!

HO HO HO   
Holiday Happenings for December!
                                
December 1, 2012

Dear Parents,

This month will go by quickly and Christmas break will be here before we know it.   I have lots of holiday activities that I need help with I am just one elf and will need extra hands in order to pull of the Christmas around the world activities and arts and crafts I have planned.If you are interested in helping please e-mail me or send in a note by Monday Dec 3rd (I will be out of town the week of Dec 10-14th so need to get all organized before I leave on a trip)  I looking for one or two parents to help me with our class party for the last hour and a half of Friday December 21st  from 1:00-2:30. I have planned one story/game for the children after lunch.  I am asking that each child bring one giant sized wrapped chocolate bar  and we will be reading the Right Family Christmas Story. Each child will get to unwrap and keep the chocolate bar they have at the end of the story. This is always a holiday favorite game and the students get a chance to give and receive.  Please send in a GIANT size Candy bar this week!!  I need time to wrap them all and hide a golden ticket inside one of them (just like Charlie and the CHocolate factory)  The Polar Express Party will be first thing in the morning we will be invited to Mrs. Kinely's room where we will watch the Polar Express and enjoy morning treats.  Please send in a breakfast item if you can that day to share.  The teachers are porviding hot chocolate with all the trimings.
I need parents to sign up or e-mail me if you can help on the following days:

Monday 12/17 I need one moreArt Parents from 1:00-2:40 we will be making Christmas ornaments. Mrs. Walker has already volunteered anyone else?
Thursday 12/20 8:00-lunch I need one parent to help us Christmas Carol the building we will be singing our own 12 -----of Christmas song that the students will write and illustrate. We will go to as many classrooms as sign up to have us visit and spread our Christmas Cheer!

Friday 12/21 from  1:00-2:30 as mentioned above I need a couple parents that
would like to help run our musical chair gift exchange party. Milk and cookies?? Anyone want to send in something that afternoon.....Please let me know Plan a game??

 Please help and send in what you can from this list on Monday Dec 3rd so that I know what I need to purchase and shop for if needed.....
1. Christmas wrapping paper 2 rolls
2. 4 extra prizes for the Christmas games we will play (golden ticket winner and top three prizesfor musical chair x mas game)
3. Extra Giant size candy bars (I always have a few students that can't bring any)
4. 3 extra dollar store gifts for those that can afford so no one is left out)
5. Make a golden ticket award and send it in to Mrs, Hedberg (will hide in one of the candy bars)
6. Small package of silver or gold bells for Polar Express morning  I need 25 strung on red or green ribbon to give students after they watch the Polar Express movie.


Reading: We will be finishing up our Unit on Kindness before the Christmas break.  Our new sixweek unit will begin when we return from the holidays. The new  theme will be about animals and camouflage.  Like zoologists, students will be studying animals in their natural habitats.  We will “travel” to different parts of the world to observe animals living in various environments and to observe the specialized adaptations they have developed to survive where they live. Students will learn more about animals they already know and become acquainted with many new ones, as they peek into jungles, swamps, deserts, forest, ponds, mountains, and grasslands. By reading the selections in this new unit, students will discover various forms of camouflage, and learn why it is so critical to may wildlife creatures. I want my students to learn that not all animals camouflage themselves in the same way, and not all of the same reasons. There will be much to be discovered on this journey. I am excited about this theme because it is always engaging no matter what the gender of your child. Boys and girls alike are unusually drawn into the theme and there is nothing better than watching their excitement and enthusiasm about reading.  We continue to work on reading comprehension strategies during literature circle time.

 
Math:  We are working on 2.oa.1,2oa.2,2NBT.5,2.NBT.9 Developing fluency and learning to solve word problems using addition and subtration within 100 using multiple MTI strategies. Thank you for continuing to support your child at home through the math Passport program and new passport will go home in January. I have encouraged all my students to take advantage of the two math programs that are available on line to them at home through the Mill Creek website as well as my blog Mathletics and IXL math. I have sent home information for student logins on both of these programs. The new IXL was just introduced this week and is based on teh common core standards, you are also able to access other grade levels in this program.  Rather than paper homework this is a great alternative and students are much more engaged they love it! 

Character:  I have to begin by telling you that my own class has taught me the value of teaching character building education.  My students show me their true gifts of character each and everyday and I am amazed by the integrity I get to witness. This month our new virtue is Compassion and kindness.  We will begin the sale of our Friendship for Families bracelets Wednesday December 5h. The entire second grade has been busy making bracelets for sale and the proceeds will go to supports a family at Christmas.  I have been amazed at how many bracelets have come in and many students involved their entire family in the project.  Thank you for your support at home for this project.

Report cards will come home the last day of school before the break. I will not be sending home Friday folders that day so you will need to check your child’s backpack  Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns about progress.  LHedberg@msd134.org You can also check report cards on family access.

P.S. I would love to hear from parents if you would like me to continue once a month newsletters. I blog and send hardcopies it is time consuming and I think it is valuable for most?? Let me know if you enjoy it and find it informative?

 
I hope you have a very joyous holiday with your children and families see you next year!

Sincerely,
Mrs. Hedberg

No comments:

Post a Comment